* Includes the 2016 White-Collar Overtime Exemption Regulations and the Federal Court Order Blocking their Implementation and Enforcement!
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires employers to follow guidelines for a determination of wages. There are regulations regarding exemptions, minimum wage, overtime, and minors as employees.This course provides general information about the basic requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act as it applies to employee wages.
Managers/Supervisors/Risk Management & HR Professionals
TIME TO COMPLETE
155 - 165 minutes
To help managers and supervisors understand the basic wage and hour requirements set forth by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- evaluate an employee's qualifications for coverage under the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- categorize exempt employees into one of the five white-collar exemption classifications (Professional, Administrative, Executive, Outside salesperson, and Computer-related professional);
- understand the 2016 amendments to the white-collar minimum wage and overtime exemption regulations and the preliminary injunction preventing their implementation and enforcement;
- apply industry-specific and special exemptions from wage and hour laws to specific industries and occupations;
- apply the regulations regarding minimum wage and overtime as they relate to non-exempt employees and calculate overtime pay accordingly; and
- prepare and maintain the records for both exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Who is Covered?
- Who is not Covered?
- White Collar Exemptions
- Minimum Wage
- Record Keeping
- Investigation and Enforcement
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Calculating Overtime
- Employee Timekeeping Report
- Exempt Classifications
- FLSA Audit
HR CERTIFICATION INSTITUTE
This program has been approved for 2.75 recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, visit the HR Certification Institute homepage at www.hrci.org.
(The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of this program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.)
SOCIETY FOR HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
The Human Equation is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 2.75 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.
THE FLSA TRAINING & CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
Provided in conjunction with HRcertification.com, The Human Equation is pleased to offer an eight-hour comprehensive certification program on the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Upon successful completion, earn eight-hours of PHR/SPHR recertification credits and receive a "Certified Administrator" or a "Certified TPA" designation. For more information about this program, visit www.hrcertification.com.
- Chapter 1: Instructions
- Course Objectives
- Chapter 2: Introduction
- Chapter 3: Who is Covered by the FLSA?
- Who is Not Covered?
- Page 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
- Chapter 4: General Guidelines for Exempt Employees
- “White-Collar” Exemptions
- “White-Collar” Exemptions
- Exemption Tests: Executive Employees
- Exemption Tests: Administrative Employees
- Exemption Tests: Professional Employees
- Page 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
- Exemption Tests: Computer-Related Professionals
- Exemption Tests: Outside Salespersons
- Chapter 5: Additional Exemptions
- Partial Exemptions from Overtime Pay
- Allowable Deductions for Exempt Employees
- Chapter 6: General Guidelines for Non-Exempt Employees
- Rest Periods and Meal Periods
- Attendance at Training or Educational Programs
- Overtime: Effect of Bonuses on Regular Rates
- Overtime: Vacation, Holidays, and Sick Leave
- Chapter 7: Additional Regulations
- Record Keeping: Non-Exempt Workers
- Record Keeping: Exempt Workers
- Chapter 8: Conclusion
- Chapter 9: Time to Review
- Exam (multiple choice)